My daughters friend asked me to knit her a shrug for a wedding she was going to. I gave myself a few self inflicted headaches making it but I think she was happy with the result. This is Antonia wearing the shrug whilst standing with Emma the bride.
Here's another picture of Antonia wearing the shrug. Far left.
I had to design it myself in the end for a few reasons. We had a trawl through my books, patterns and the web but couldn't find anything spot on. Thre were a few that Antonia liked aspects of, the shape from one or the arm length she liked in another so we narrowed it down to a couple that I could improvise but then.....The only yarn Antonia could find in the colour she needed was 4ply. All the patterns we had bee looking at were DK or aran. Not many free shrug patterns out there in 4ply. I found a couple that were either childrens or big batwing numbers. Antonia wanted a very neat minimal style. In the end I gave her a stitch library book and she settled on a moss stitch cuff/bands with stocking stitch main body. I wasn't sure whether to give a huge sigh of relief or be a little disappointed at how plain it was. I should point out at this stage Antonia designed and made her dress herself, she is a very talented part time designer and so not only did I want to make it as well as possible for her but also for me because I kept imagining all eyes would be on her outfit as much as the brides so I didn't want to let her down in that respect. Another problem is that Antonia doesn't live local to me and so there would be no fittings as such and although I had some measurements to go on and my daughter Leigh-Ann as a stand in model I was more than a little nervous at the fit.
I had also never knitted a shrug before and I know now they are very very simple when I first looked at them I couldn't picture in my head how they fitted. I ended up doing a quick trial one first which Leigh-Ann has ended up with. This was a very rushed first attempt wasn't meant really to be worn by anyone hence the disgusting colour but I forgot that Leigh-Ann loves all forms of yellow and so has adopted it. This was knocked out in a weekend although I have to confess the finish is a little bit ropey. I have sneaked it back out of her room in order to sew it up a little better.