Thursday 3 July 2008

Bargain Haul

What do you think of my bargain haul????The church opposite our house was having a table top sale last Saturday. I clocked them quite early setting it all up, it's only a small church and so was only a small sale of 8 tables or so. But a little voice in my head kept telling to go over and have a look, "there are goodies on offer" it kept saying to me. Hubby declined my invite to go over an investigate so the two younger boys and I went on our own after mugging daddy for all the spare change he had in his pocket.

At the second stall I struck gold, I spotted a plastic wallet containing all the patterns pictured and when I asked how much the gentleman said 50p. I thought "oh" but then he started saying there's also this and this and started putting a load of other craft and embroidery things on a pile. I'm half way through thinking how many 50p's does this man think I have when it clicked (I am a little slow on the uptake on occasion) that he meant for the lot. I'm just recovering after a an attack of the chuffty's (being very very happy)Then he said ooh I think there's something else here as well if your interested in knitting and picked up a wooden box which I had already spotted and looked a little suspicious to me and had already planned to investigate as soon as he stopped loading me up with half his table, he opened it and it was full of knitting and crotchet needles and bits and bobs. He said you can have that for another 50p if you want. I would have snatched his arm off if it hadn't meant dropping everything I was already holding but manged to do the deal before someone came up behind me and put in a better offer. All of this lot plus the embroidery bits not pictured for £1. Whoo Hoo bargain of the century or WHAT!!!!!!!!

I was ready to go home there and then and stroke through my scrummy bits but I had the boys with me and only the greedy thought of finding more knitbits encouraged me to go and find something that would keep them quiet so I could dive into my treasure in peace. The boys did actually do quite well with a errm what did they have now aarrhhh let me think. Yes I can remember I'm not that bad with my one "knit" mind honest. They had a jigsaw, cuddly tigger, sand play set, some lego a doggy teddy (this is a bit like the generation game only with more cuddly toys, my boys lurrrrve cuddly toys) uummmmm can't think what else.

I also bought a few small bags that I thought I could use for crotchet projects if I ever get round to learning it. We spent £7. 80 in all and come back with three carrier bags full and even a present for daddy, an Ozzy Osbourne book. I did find some yarn but it was too hideous even for me to buy it even with my raging addition to all things yarn. Especially bargain yarn. It was an awful acrylic chocolate brown boucle type with bright red/green and yellows in it. A real 80's throwback nightmare, the only thing I would have considered knitting in it would be a blanket for the cat but I think she would have left home rather than sleep on it.
I then had a lovely time with a cup of coffee sorting through it all. The boys have put a huge order in for various bits and bobs with Tom and Jerry being top of the list (they are huge fans although I feel very old when I say I much prefer the newer ones as the violence is a lot less horrifying.) thay also adore the Jean Greenhowes dinosaurs. Unfortunately my LYS is closed at the moment so I can't get any stuffing so they will have to wait another week or two. Just as well I have enough on my plate at the moment with my NEMESIS.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

They are great Nicky,some good books there,did you get my message about the magazines?If you have not got them you can have them.