Friday 17 October 2008

A baby present


My cousin's girlfriend Anne (whom I've yet to meet but we've chatted on the phone and seems lovely so far) had a baby last Friday. I've obviously known about the impending birth for quite a while now but I thought I would wait before knitting anything just in case I could do pink, should have guessed with this family it would be another boy! Never mind boys are lovely, a lot more loving than independent girls who always have to have their own way no matter what, or maybe that's just my daughter!. My three boys have been a little easier I have to say than my daughter, she has always known her own mind unlike the lads who on the whole have been a bit more laid back shall we say although I should add at this point that Max is the exception to every rule ever written. Leigh has never been a problem I hasten to add just a little more stronger willed than the lads and a whole lot more self sufficient.


Anyway, baby Robert was born a week ago today, weighing in at over 9lbs (ouch and that's a first baby). I don't know a lot more than that as they live in another part of the country and so haven't seen him yet. This is what I made for him.

I started knitting it on the Friday night and carried on through the day on Saturday, we had our usual quota of visitors so I just carried on knitting whilst drinking coffee and nattering. The plan was to get it all finished by Sunday night maybe Monday morning so I could get it posted off. However (there always has to be a punchline doesn't there), I went out Saturday night to a friends 40th birthday party. I know Rebecca from playgroup, Rebecca helps to run it with my SIL at the local school (my sons school BTW) and so I was invited to her party with a number of other ladies from playgroup and decided to do it as a girly night out and let out hubbies off the hook from attending. There were also a lot of her colleagues invited including both of my sons teachers. I had no intention of getting drunk before we went, or even as the first glass of wine was being sipped, but the dj to be fair was more than a little naff so I'm blaming him, I don't drink very much usually and even on the very odd occasion when I'm out I'm on the dance floor most of the night so my alcohol consumption is kept to a minimum, but not dancing was lethal for me. I was, lets say quite slaughtered. My SIL doesn't drink and she assured me most of the teachers had gone before I started talking complete b@oll%cks. I don't remember getting home although I remember waking up on the settee where hubby left me snoring!! I vaguely remember getting up and going to bed at that point.

Next morning (the boys were up at 7am on a Sunday) I was rough, very rough. Luckily for me hubby was in a far worse state than me a few weeks ago so had no room whatsoever to lecture me on indulging in excess but did get up with the boys with a huge smirk on his face that just spoke of payback!! A huge lie in til 11am and a shower left me feeling a little more human but I still couldn't face picking up my needles again til teatime. A whole evening and a whole day of non knitting killed the schedule for getting them finished, not helped by the fact that I then spent Mon, Tues and Wed doing some decorating for mum and her partner so by the time I'd been there all day, come home collected the boys from school, done some housework and cooked tea, bathed the boys and tidied up I was shattered. Finally managed to finish them Wed night. Went to my LYS on Thursday morning for buttons ( still cannot believe I had none suitable in my tin!!)and was so busy chatting to the ladies in the shop I didn't check how many buttons she put in my bag, I asked for 5 I'm sure, she gave me 3. So I had another trip there this morning to get another 2. All done and if I don't get to the post office before 5.30pm this afternoon I will go in the morning.
I do hope after all the palaver that Anne like the jacket and that it fits him.

No comments: